A Short History
The Club moved from St James’s during the World War II, the current Clubhouse in Halkin Street opened in October 1946 and is named after Halkin Castle, the Duke of Westminster’s seat in Flintshire. Built in 1907 as a private residence of Hugh Morrison to the design of Detmar Blow, Number 9 was last mansion house of its kind to be built in London. The elegant simplicity of the exterior is neatly juxtaposed by sympathetic internal proportions. The Club is constantly evolving in line with membership expectations. A new five-storey wing with terrace garden was officially opened in 2006 by Her Majesty The Queen.
The Club has created a publication which tracks its history through the Art & Artefacts on display. Click on the cover to preview the first 7 pages.