The Caledonian Club in Belgravia is pleased to be opening its doors to the public on Sunday 23rd September as part of Open House London 2012.
The Club was founded in 1891 and moved to 9 Halkin Street in 1946. Built in the Neoclassical style by Detmar Blow for Hugh Morrison(1868-1931) and the home of the Caledonain Club since 1946, No 9 Halkin Street was the last mansion of its kind to be built in London.
In addition to the marvellous architecture and beautifully proportioned rooms, the history of the Club can be viewed through a wonderful collection of art and artefacts, from the bronze entitled Courage by Sir Edgar Mackennal commissioned by the Members and unveiled by Earl Haig in 1921 to the portrait of King James VII by Sir Godfrey Kneller.
The sympathetically designed new wing opened by HerMajesty Queen Elizabeth II on Saint Andrew’s day 2006, inlcudes the library which houses a rich collection of Scottish literature, reinforcing the origins of the Caledonian Club which is often referred to as “the Scottish Embassy”.