Originally founded in 1891 as a proprietary club, The Caledonian Club as it is today was formed in 1917 under the energetic leadership of the Marquis of Tullibardine. He appealed to Members to make it the representative national club and headquarters for Scotsmen in London.
Having moved from St James’s during the war, the current Clubhouse in Halkin Street opened on 17th October 1946. The street is named after Halkin Castle, the Duke of Westminster’s seat in Flintshire. Number 9 was the last mansion house of its kind to be built in London. The elegant simplicity of the exterior is neatly juxtaposed by sympathetic internal proportions.
In 2006 a new five-storey wing was officially opened by Her Majesty The Queen, accompanied by His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh.
The sympathetically designed extension seamlessly connects the old with the new, enhancing the facilities that Members and their guests enjoy.